Johnson & Johnson admits: Our baby products contain cancer-causing formaldehyde
When you think of your baby, you go for the best care possible guided by the expectation that baby products are safe and protected or approved by professionals Like- “ FDA” for example!? Well get ready for this irony: Johnson & Johnson baby shampoos contain two cancer causing chemicals. What is even more appalling is that the advertisement says “ No more tears”, but in fact they contain skin and eye irritant chemicals and than with the bed time lotion, the famous: “ babies are proven to sleep better”, while on the contrary their skin is under the effect of these two highly dangerous and cancerous chemicals Quaternum -15 and 1,4 Dioxan.
For two years now the Health environmental groups have been insisting on removal of these two carcinogenic chemicals from Johnson & Johnson’s baby shampoos.
Quaternium 15- releases formaldehyde. Formaldehyde is a proved, well known cancer causing chemical. It’s fumes irritate the eyes, skin, respiratory tract and it is directly responsible for causing leukemia.
The Safe cosmetics. Org have stated that: – “The North American Contact Dermatitis Group claims that Quaternum 15 is the most clinically considerable contact allergen in children.”
The next 1,4 – Dioxane, is “probably” carcinogen, and is in Johnson &Johnson’s products :
* Baby Shampoo
* Oatmeal Baby Wash
* Moisture Care Baby Wash, and
* Aveeno Baby Soothing Relief Creamy Wash
What is the reason behind Johnson & Johnson’s slow response on stopping usage of these two toxic ingredients for U.S. Lots?
25 environmental and medical groups were a part of The Campain for Safe Cosmetics . On October 31, they required that Johnson& Johnson “commit to removing the chemicals from all of its products by November 15.” The Campain also recommended all consumers to refuse Johnson& Johnson products until they respond properly.
Johnson & Johnson came with this response:
“We have been phasing out the use of preservatives that release tiny amounts of formaldehyde to guard against bacterial contamination. These preservative technologies, which are used widely in our industry are all safe and approved in the countries where they are sold… Over the past couple of years, we already have reduced the number of formulations globally with these ‘formaldehyde releaser’ preservatives by 33% and in the U.S. by over 60%.
We are completing this reformulation as quickly as we can safely and responsibly do so. As part of the manufacturing process, we have extensive monitoring to ensure that the amount of a trace byproduct known as “1,4 dioxane” in any of our products is well below the level that the U.S. Food and Drug Administration and regulatory agencies around the world consider safe.
…We have introduced new product formulations for consumers who prefer natural products, such as JOHNSON’S® NATURAL®, a line that is 98% natural, and contains no formaldehyde releasing preservatives or traces of 1,4 dioxane.”
Never the less as sensible as they may sound, in fact there are two “issues” with their statement:
1. Johnson & Johnson already sell their free of cancerous chemicals shampoos in countries that have banned these carcinogen chemicals, there fore they don’t have to go through reformulation of the products
2. The Johnson & Johnson’s “Naturals” trade name –product costs twice as much as the not “natural” ones. It does not have any of the formaldehyde releasing elements , therefore they relieve themselves from responsibility by saying: “We are completing this reformulation as quickly as we can safely and responsibly do so”.
Countries that have banned Quaternum -15 and consume Johnson&Johnsom baby shampoos that don’t contain Quaternum 15 are :
Denmark Finland Japan
The Netherlands Sweden South Africa and the UK.
Jezebel declared that :
“And it’s not like the company removed an essential ingredient to meet environmental restrictions in these countries. While some have banned the use of quaternium-15, it’s unclear why some of these countries are being treated to the carcinogen-free shampoo.”
Be aware that these Formaldehyde releasing or containing preservatives are hidden behind other names just to confuse consumers or they are not mentioned on the list at all. 1. 4 Dioxane is a toxin that contaminates instead of being a preservative of antibacterial properties.
Formaldehyde is traced in other product ingredients such as:
* DMDM hydantoin
* Imidazolidinyl urea
* Diazolidinyl urea
1,4 –Dioxane is traced as a byproduct in these elements:
* PEG-100 stearate
* Sodium laureth sulfate
* Sodium myreth sulfate
Always look carefully for the ingredients listed on the label of any skin care baby products.
It is very frustrating that baby care products are made of intoxicating chemical components .Chemicals that are extremely dangerous you need to be aware of
• All ingredients that have “xynol”, “oleth”,”ceteareth”.
• DEA or Diethanolamine – is a chemical that can cause cancer. It creates nitrosodiethanolamine (NDEA), by reacting with nitrit preservatives and other toxins . NDEA is a strong cancer causing chemical.
• NDEA blocks a very important nutrient Cholin that is key to brain development
• Propylen Glycol – this highly potent skin irritant is warned against usage many times and it is still very present in almost all shampoos
• Parabens. These chemicals go names such as methyl paraben, ethyl paraben, propyl paraben, butyl paraben, paraben, isobutyl or E216. These directly result in cancer. Many cancer tissue samples contained parabens. Long time of research has been made on these chemicals and they have proved Parabens to affect directly to the body as Estrogens, causing Gyneco mastia in male patients ( Breast growth), fat storage and weakened muscle mass.
In many breast cancer patients, tissue samples taken from tumors, contained parabens. 20 breast tumors have been examined. So Methyl parabens are directly responsible for hormonal , metabolic, developmental and neurological disorders, also different cancers.
Babies are unprotected from many hazardous chemicals on a daily basis
Four years ago , EWG the Environmental Working Group after conducting a large survey on 3 300 parents came to a conclusion that their children are under the effect of very dangerous chemicals weekly or daily, depending on when and how much various skin care products are used for their babies.
27 hazardous chemicals were found never to have been checked for safety by any relevant institution. These were all compared to the products they used with the list of ingredients known to cause allergies, rashes, hormone changes, liver accumulations as well as brain damage and cancer.
The infamous baby products and the dangerous chemicals found in them are:
• 2 bromo, 2 nitropropane, and 3-DIOL:
These chemicals are responsible for skin rashes and allergies, also form by products that cause cancer.
• Sodium borate, was found in a baby cream for diaper rashes called Desitin. This highly dangerous chemical piles in the baby’s liver and brain and causes grave illnesses.
• Oxybenzone, was found in sunscreen lotions .This chemical causes allergies and hormonal disorder to a baby’s fragile hormonal structure.
It is very sad to mention that 89 percent of all baby products that had “ Doctor approved” on the label, were indeed the pits of cancer causing chemicals.
The EWG study in 2007 concluded that:
• Every day or every week 82 percent of children are unprotected from the cancer causing, liver, kidney and brain damaging and also skin irritant chemicals.
• Every day or week 69 percent of children are affected by hormone disorder causing agents
• A smaller amount of children about 3.6 percent are at dangerously high risk of cancerous chemicals
• It is reported by government and industry sources that 80 percent of baby care products advertised as non skin or eye irritant , in fact contained chemicals that cause skin damage and eye damage.
Read the content carefully before you buy
Always keep in mind that many skin damaging chemicals are hiding in different shampoos, body lotions, skin care oils , soaps and scrubs. The market is indeed full of such beautifully scented products that supposedly guarantee full skin care and “natural” nurturing that it is hard to know which is which.
The problem with this is that the skin absorbs very fast and all hazardous chemicals go straight into the blood thus directly damaging many vital organs and systems.
I advise you to think green and choose green, meaning- invest in good health by choosing skin care made of organic products. Now , unfortunately lately the industry has learned how to lie well and “greenwash” consumers even with products in good health stores.
I urge you to carefully do your research before you decide to choose a product for you or your children.
I recommend EWG – Skin Deep site to help you with a good selection of products because this Non Profit Public research Group has done thorough research for thousands of products.
EWG ‘s main focus is finding the connection between the affect of chemicals on various illnesses or side affects.
Since 2004 EWG has given a list of high risk ratings of thousands of products.
Here’s a tip for smart shopping
Some tips to remember when buying personal care products
– See that products have the authentic USDA Organic Seal
– If the words are too complicated, different compound chemicals arelisted, reconsider if you want to use it on your skin or eat it.
– Go for products that are not scented. Every perfumed product contains thousands of chemicals that irritate the skin or cause allergies.
– Look for the order of ingredients written on the list behind the product. It is obligatory for the manufacturers to list the ingredients in downward order by volume. Meaning the first elements to be mentioned are the main ingredients and the ones written further down are less likely to be of importance . For example if calendula is in the last mentioned ingredients, it is not likely that your body shampoo is natural.
Simplify things. You don’t need 10 products for personal hygiene. It’s more money in the pocket after all.
– Choose products in glass bottles. Plastic releases toxins in the products. Bisphenol A (BPA) is a real threat. It is a plastic ingredient so see that any plastic container is without BPA .
Make sure you buy products from Animal Friendly or Earth Friendly companies that care for the people and the environment indeed.
You should seriously be alarmed for the abundant toxic ingredients and by products they create, to which your child is exposed daily or weekly by using skin care products. They keep piling on and gravely load the amount of toxicity in your child’s body.
I strongly advise you to read Dr. Doris Rapp’s book, Our Toxic World: A Wake Up Call. She has worked hard on revealing the many ways toxic chemicals gravely affect your health causing numerous chronic diseases .
Call to Action
SafeCosmetics.org advises customers to be aware and object to cancer causing ingredients in any baby product. You are advised to do the following:
1. Refuse their products until Johnson &Johnson produce safe baby products for all consumers. Buy safe products suggested by EWG’s Skin Deep cosmetic database.
2. Contact Johnson& Johnson : Sign the petition asking the company to withdraw all dangerous products and stop using Formaldehyde- releasing preservatives in all their products all over the world.
3. Write to Congress: Demand that your U.S. Representative is in favor of the Safe Cosmetics Act of 2011.