The limes and lemons belong to the citrus fruit family, but they may be from the same family but they are very different. The limes have a green color and they are a lot smaller, compared to the lemons who have a yellow color.
Also they differ in the size, because the limes are round and the lemons are oval. The limes have a bitter-sweet taste, while the lemons are sour.
But besides the differences in their shape, color, taste and size, they have many similar characteristics, they even share some of them. Both of these fruits are rich in many nutrients, like potassium, folate, antioxidants, flavonoids, vitamin C and vitamin A, as well as the limonoids which have the ability to prevent from cancer.
The lemons are also very rich in potassium, folate, vitamin C, while on the other hand the limes are much richer in vitamin A.
Both of these fruits have an alkalizing nature, and have the ability to detoxify our body, and both the limes and lemons can provide these health benefits:
- Cleanse our body from toxins.
- Relieve from blenching and stomach bloating, therefore supporting our digestion.
- Relieve from asthma.
- Both of them are alkalizing our body and prevent from inflammatory conditions such as arthritis, sciatica, rheumatism and gout.
- Improve sleep quality.
- Improve skin health.
- Boost energy levels.
- Relieve from heartburn and constipation.
- Contain strong anti-viral properties, preventing from infections and colds.
- Boost the immunity system.
- Soothe the symptoms of a sore throat.
- Rich in fiber, low in calories.
- Prevent and treat cancer.
- Relieve from pain, due to infections and gum swellings.
Both of these fruits are highly beneficial and nutritious, so consuming them every day you will boost your overall health in thousands of different ways.
But know this, the biggest amount of limonene is concentrated in the inner and spongy parts of the fruits. So, you should juice the whole fruit, do not get rid of the peel, if you want to provide the most benefits. Cut the fruits in smaller pieces and put them in your juicer. That way you will get the maximum benefits from them.
Also when you go to the store to buy these fruits, you should get the ones that have more lines radiating to the stem end, these lines mean that the fruit contains more minerals inside it.