In a world full of pharmaceutical drugs for everything from dandruff to toenail fungus, it is refreshing to make your own and cure reliable old wives cures for various ailments. Baking soda is most important in most homes and is useful for cooking, cleaning, and many home remedies. Although safe when used as directed, baking soda can cause side effects. Read the warning section below and consult your doctor before using home remedies for baking soda.
Old wives cures
- Baking soda is the best home remedy for teeth whitening. Sprinkle a little on your toothbrush; brush and rinse as usual.
- Gargle with baking soda and water to freshen the breath.
- Prevent acne, remove excess oil from face and dead skin by exfoliating baking soda. Mix 1 tbsp. baking soda with 1 tsp. water and rub gently on the face.
- Make a feet soak to relieve itching, soreness, and odor. Mix 3 tablespoons of baking soda, 1 tbs. pepper essential oil, 1 tbsp. salt and warm water and soak for 20 minutes.
- Apply to the skin to relieve bee stings, insect bites, itchy poison ivy, oak, and sumac. Mix baking soda with water in a thick paste for stings or make a thin wash to use with the compressor.
- Apply baking soda paste and water to herpes sores to dry them quickly.
- Drink a mixture of baking soda and water to relieve muscle pain after strenuous exercise.
- Sprinkle baking soda on a damp nail brush and rub the nails to remove dirt and destroy the nail fungus.
Home Remedies for Acidity
Mix 1/2 tablespoon of baking soda in 16 oz water and drink to relieve heartburn, acid reflux and GERD symptoms.
Mix 1/4 or 1/2 tablespoon of baking soda with 2 tablespoons of fresh lemon juice or organic apple cider vinegar to alleviate acid reflux and create an alkaline environment in your body. It will foam and fizz, so use a tall glass and wait for all bubbling to stop. Then add 8 oz of water and drink at once. This mixture neutralizes pH, buffers gastric acid and reduces acidosis.
More Baking Soda Home Remedies
Shower with a mixture of 1 tablespoon mixed with warm water to kill the candida yeast and stop itching.
Gargle with baking soda and water mixture to remove the oral thrush.
Treat your urinary tract infection by drinking an 8 oz glass of water mixed with 1/2 tablespoon of baking soda once or twice a day.
Alleviate thrombosis by drinking the bicarbonate of soda and lemon juice or apple cider vinegar mentioned above.
Baking soda home remedies can deplete your body of essential minerals and vitamins. It should not be used on low sodium diets unless under supervision. In some cases, it may interact with prescription drugs, so check with your pharmacist first. Only use baking soda after it has dissolved in the liquid and never consume it as a dry powder. Do not use baking soda for more than two weeks without checking with your doctor. Baking soda should not be used by pregnant or breastfeeding women or children under 5 years of age.